Monday, June 21, 2010

Getting the hang of it

So begins my third week in Kampala. I haven’t been able to post as much as I would like, due to infrequency of internet access and an increasing amount of things to do at work(which is a good thing, time flies!). I am now comfortable on the taxis to and from work, it feels great to be able to move around—even just from home to work. Rather than be late to a meeting on Thursday, I chose to jump on the boda boda (motorcycle) to get from the taxi stop to the office.

The first few days of the week, I joined the march of children heading to a primary and a secondary school on the route to work. I figured if kids as young as six can walk it (and much longer distances as well), I should be able to make the 20 minute journey too. Unfortunately, the last piece is a steep hill that left me a sweaty mess, which is not the ideal state for beginning the work day. After overcoming my fear of the boda boda, I have not looked back! While the bike rides contribute significantly to the cost of getting to work (daily fare costs the equivalent of $1.36 as opposed to $.45), I think it is well worth the investment.

I will leave you with a few overdue pictures--from home to work (in reverse order, the connection is too slow for many images).

Traffic Jam on way to work (note taxi on left and boda boda on right)

The family compound with the fierce guard dogs
"Home"
Kampala view from home
Posted by Picasa
--Posted by Kate, Lule Compound, Ntinda, Kampala, Uganda