Monday, June 14, 2010

A Billion to One

I can’t believe I have been here in Kampala for a full week already. I have been trying to come up with a description of my surroundings that sum up the atmosphere but I’m having a hard time putting my finger on it. Words that come to mind are: vibrant and bustling. I recently came across this quote from Neil Armstrong after landing on the moon: “it’s different, but it’s very pretty out here.” I think that is fitting for the way I feel.

The streets are crowded (especially during commuting hours), narrow and filled with a mixture of people walking, motorbikes (called boda bodas), minibus taxis, cars and trucks. It is every (wo)man, car and motorcycle for themselves, riding is an occasionally harrowing experience. Roadside stands sell everything from cooked food to mobile phone airtime to furniture.

Everyone is extremely friendly here, even to a muzungu (white person) like me. I have yet to be approached by someone asking for money (unlike walking around Albany!) and feel safe walking around, at least during the day. This week the goal is to master the taxi/minibus route to work. I had rides to and from work last week, so this morning was my first attempt at a taxi ride. I missed my stop and ended up downtown--the office is in a suburb--and had to call for a rescue. Apparently this was not so bad for my first try.

Some of the downsides so far are the lack of coffee (other than instant), fairly bland local food (more on that later), hot water in the shower only and slow, spotty internet access. It is a good reminder to be fortunate for all that I have been given by virtue of birthright.

--

Posted by: Kate Gargiulo, Kololo, Kampala, Uganda